Darryl Strawberry will headline a roster of Mets, Giants and other celebrities in a golf outing for a very good cause. The details follow below the fold:
STRAWBERRY, HARRELSON, LANDETTA AND CROSS HELP SEAN KIMERLING FOUNDATION FIGHT TESTICULAR CANCER
New York, NY …. Darryl Strawberry, Bud Harrelson, Sean Landetta and Howard Cross headline the sports, TV and Radio personalities joining the Sean Kimerling Testicular Cancer Foundation for the Foundation’s 5th Annual Celebrity Golf Tournament and Dinner. The event takes place this Monday, August 4th at the Bethpage Red Course in Farmingdale, NY.
Following a fun day of golf, SNY’s Gary Apple will serve as Master of Ceremonies for jazz, dinner, a silent auction and raffle prizes of sports memorabilia.
The Foundation was established in memory of Sean Kimerling, the Emmy Award-winning anchor of WB11 (now the CW-11 )sports and pre-game announcer for the New York Mets. Sean died from testicular cancer on September 9, 2003. He was only 37.
“Sean fought a brief, intense battle with cancer. He was unaware of his cancer until very late when severe back pain sent him to the doctor. He was a young, healthy, vibrant man, intelligent and kind … his life was cut short in its prime”, said Noah Kimerling Foundation President and Founder. “The Foundation’s goal is that all men will have the information they need about the disease, its symptoms and what to do about them so that more cases will be diagnosed early, and lives saved” said Rob Seaver, Vice President of the Foundation.
Testicular cancer is the most common cancer among young men between the ages of 15 and 40. This year, almost 8000 young men will be diagnosed with the disease. It has one of the highest cure rates of all cancers, with a survival rate over 95 percent, if detected and treated early. Too often, young men, like Sean, are not aware they have TC until it has spread throughout their body, greatly complicating treatment and their chances of survival.
For more information … www.seankimerling.org
· From NYC: Approximately 30 miles. Take Long Island Expressway (Rte. 495) east to exit 44S which is the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway (Rte. 135). Take Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway south to exit 8, Powell Avenue. Make a left on Powell Ave. and follow signs to park.
· Belt Parkway: East to Southern State Parkway to exit 31 which is the Bethpage Parkway. Take the Bethpage Parkway north to the end and follow signs to park.
· From Eastern Long Island: Take Long Island Expressway (Rte. 495) west to exit 44S which is the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway (Rte. 135). Take Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway to exit 8 Powell Avenue. Make a left on Powell and follow signs to park.
· East on the Northern State Parkway: Get off at exit 36A, which is route 135 South. Take 135 South to exit #8 which is Powell Ave, and turn left – follow signs to the Park.
· West on the Northern State Parkway: Get off at exit 39, which is Round Swamp Rd. Follow Round Swamp Road all the way down, and turn right into the Park.
10:30 am Brunch Registration
11:30 Shotgun Start
5-6 pm Cocktails at Carlyle On The Green
6:00 pm Dinner, Silent Auction, Raffles